Monday, September 05, 2011

META

I hate to be an internet-tease, so I first want to say THANK YOU blog readers, for being so patient. I wasn't trying to be super-mysterious about my new zine in my post the other day, but a no-spoilers San Francisco debut was important for reasons that will become obvious in a paragraph or so.

I made a new zine! It is the culmination of months of note-taking and thinking and "This is a great idea but how do I DO it?" ruminations and talks with friends. Do you ever have an idea for a project but struggle with how to do it RIGHT? This was one of those for me, because of the subject matter and how dear it is not only to me, but to many other people. It turns out that it is a pretty big challenge when you mostly write zines about yourself, to then write a zine about someone who you really admire.





Margaret Kilgallen (1967-2001) was a painter and a graffiti artist, a member of the Mission School art movement in San Francisco in the late 1990s, along with her husband, painter Barry McGee. Kilgallen was prolific in her short career, which ended with her death in June 2001. This zine is about my search for more information and insight on Margaret and her work, and tells the story of my own artistic journey as well as thoughts on art in general.

I've been interested in Margaret's work for a long time, but this winter/spring some chance meetings and conversations kind of propelled me into thinking a zine might be a good idea. And then I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I was pretty sure it really was a good idea.

If you know of Margaret and her work, I'm sure you can see how this project was a little bit daunting at times. I felt that it was important to stay true to (what I understand to be) her vision and practices, as well as to my own vision of what this zine would become. And I think it came together very well, from my handmade, Margaret-inspired layouts to the block printed covers that came into existence on my kitchen table during a hurricane using a borrowed press, a borrowed blank lino block, and snacks of Doritos between prints.

If you are not familiar with Margaret and her work, that is all the more reason to check this zine out. I could say "If you like ____ then you'll like this zine," but chances are good that if you're reading this and/or have ever read/liked something I have written, you will appreciate reading this.

Copies are currently available from me via my etsy shop, or as always if you need to arrange ordering some other way, email me and we'll work something out.

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

This sounds so interesting! Your description is giving me a very Susan Orlean vibe, and I like that. :)

Greg said...

I got this from Carolee at the SF Zine Fest. I can't wait to read it. It looks cool!

Amanda K said...

I picked this up at Zinefest and love it! Also, it makes me love the SF public library even more than I already did. Very nicely done.

Anonymous said...

Just curious if you have any more of these in your etsy shop, the link is dead. Thanks! {me AT ktoth DOT_com}