Friday, April 06, 2012

Spring Zine Thing! And more zine events!





There's just one week until Spring Zine Thing, a mini zine fair/party I'm co-hosting with Megan Mary Creamer at the Washington Street Art Center in Somerville. That's plenty of time to make that zine you've been talking about, or gather together your dollars to buy someone else's! The Spring Zine Thing runs from 2-6pm, hope to see you there.


But that's not all! Here are a few other zine-related things I'll be up to in the next few months:


Somerville Open Studios is on May 5 and 6 this year, and this year I'm lucky to be showing my work with my friends at the Washington Street Art Center. I'll have zines for sale, some other work, and a few things I don't even know about because they are not yet finished. It should be a great time, and there is a ton of great work to check out at the WSAC.

Somerville Arts Council has been running a series of salon talks about various art media/processes since the start of the year, and on June 27th I'll have the floor to talk about zines! I'll be talking a little bit about my zine-making history and how, as a long-term perzine publisher, my recent work has been shaped by my journalism and design training. My co-presenter is Alana Kumbier, who will be talking about how zines can help build communities around libraries and archives, based on her experience with zine-librarianship at Wellesley College and her participation in the Queer Zine Archive Project. Special thanks to Tim Devin who is organizing the event!

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

I would love to hear your presentation on the way your journalism/design education has informed your zines. I've been thinking a lot about the interplay between my work as a journalist and my work as a zinester, and I would be curious to hear your take on things.